The North Hampton Lions Club was chartered April 23, 1951 at the Northwestern High School with 31 charter members and two guests present. First officers of the Club were Pres. R. L. Hill; First V.P. Cecil Strawsburg; Second V.P. C.R. Schaffer; Third V.P. Joe Scott; Secy-Treas’ R. L. Noffsinger; Lion Tamer, Jim Linder; Tail Twister, Ronald Peters; Two Year Director: Floyd Martin and One Year Directors: Roy Schaffer, Art Hallock, RM Taylor.
The Club met at Toms Restaurant in downtown North Hampton until May 23, 1966 when the restaurant closed. They then met at the Community Club in Lawrenceville and were served meals by the ladies of The United Church of Christ of Lawrenceville.
On May 26, 1967 the Club purchased the building on the North West corner of Clark and Main St. in North Hampton from Chester and Ethel Ballentine. The price was $6000. This included $1500.00 cash and a $4500.00 note and mortgage. The Annual Rose Day Sales was started about 1953. The semi-annual Fish Fries were started the next year. At about this same time the Northwestern Community Festivals were organized under Richard Parker and Richard Brinkman. The Lions were very active in supporting the Festivals. They built the twelve original booths for the Festival and constructed a Monkey Dunk for use at the Festival. The Lions also took down, hauled and rebuilt at the football field, bleachers and lights obtained from a racetrack east of Springfield.
After much donated labor the Den was intensively renovated and then occupied The Lionesses held their Charter Night in the new Den on June 4, 1968. The Lions Club signed a $25,000.00 mortgage in 1972 enabling the Northwestern Amateur Athletic Assos. to purchase 20 acres on Shrine Rd. from Earl Ryman for the sight of a park. Marion Coy was president at this time. The Club donated material and many hours of labor to get the ball park built.
The NWAAA paid this mortgage off in monthly payments in profits from the concession stand managed by Maggie Wilt. At the same time they made continued improvements to Ryman Park. A final payment was made in September 1982.
North Hampton Lions Club tries to support the community with its many local projects as well as the State of Ohio and International Lion Projects. It is only with your help and support that we are able to do this.
To empower volunteers to serve their communities, meet humanitarian needs, encourage peace and promote international understanding through Lions clubs.
To be the global leader in community and humanitarian service.
In 1917, Melvin Jones, a 38-year-old Chicago business leader, told members of his local business club they should reach beyond business issues and address the betterment of their communities and the world. Jones' group, the Business Circle of Chicago, agreed.
After contacting similar groups around the United States, an organizational meeting was held on June 7, 1917, in Chicago, Illinois, USA. The new group took the name of one of the invited groups, the "Association of Lions Clubs," and a national convention was held in Dallas, Texas, USA in October of that year. A constitution, by-laws, objects and a code of ethics were approved.
Within three years, Lions became an international organization. Since then, we've earned high marks for both integrity and transparency. We're a well-run organization with a steady vision, a clear mission, and a long – and proud – history.
Beginning in 1917
Melvin Jones asked a simple and world-changing question – what if people put their talents to work improving their communities? Almost 100 years later, Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization, with 1.35 million members in more than 46,000 clubs and countless stories of Lions acting on the same simple idea: let's improve our communities.
1920: Going International
Just three years after our founding, Lions became international when we established the first club in Canada. Mexico followed in 1927. In the 1950s and 1960s international growth accelerated, with new clubs in Europe, Asia and Africa.
1925: Eradicating Blindness
Helen Keller addressed the Lions Clubs International Convention in Cedar Point, Ohio, USA, and challenged Lions to become "knights of the blind in the crusade against darkness." Since then, we have worked tirelessly to aid the blind and visually impaired.
1945: Uniting Nations
The ideal of an international organization is exemplified by our enduring relationship with the United Nations. We were one of the first nongovernmental organizations invited to assist in the drafting of the United Nations Charter and have supported the work of the UN ever since.
1957: Organizing Youth Programs
In the late 1950s, we created the Leo Program to provide the youth of the world with an opportunity for personal development through volunteering. There are approximately 144,000 Leos and 5,700 Leo clubs in more than 140 countries worldwide.
1968: Establishing Our Foundation
Lions Clubs International Foundation assists Lions with global and large-scale local humanitarian projects. Through our Foundation, Lions meet the needs of their local and global communities.
1990: Launching SightFirst
Through SightFirst, Lions are restoring sight and preventing blindness on a global scale. Launched in 1990, Lions have raised more than $346 million for this initiative. SightFirst targets the major causes of blindness: cataract, trachoma, river blindness, childhood blindness, diabetic retinopathy and glaucoma.
Today: Extending Our Reach
Lions Clubs International extends our mission of service every day – in local communities, in all corners of the globe. The needs are great and our services broad, including sight, health, youth, elderly, the environment and disaster relief. Our international network has grown to include over 200 countries and geographic areas.